Wednesday 16 November 2011

Eating Scotland

I am absolutely addicted to food. Not in the sense that I lay around all day and munch on anything I can get my hands on, but in a finer sense. There is nothing more delightful than preparing a meal with a great amount of care and attention, and then enjoying it with loved ones.
I have been able to host a few dinner parties in the last month, where I was effectively able to demonstrate my love for food. I do believe the guests were quite satisfied, as many of them complimented me on the meal, but I also enjoy going out and enjoying having someone else cook for me; one of the primary reasons for this is that I do not have to partake in the clean up that is necessary with home-cooked meals. You run into some great restaurants, and some that do not live up to their names. But, in general, my overall experience has been pleasant.

When we recently took a trip to Scotland to visit family, I was interested in traditional Scottish cuisine. Not being at all familiar with such dishes, we decided to visit numerous places to enhance my knowledge. At first, I must admit, the dishes did not appear at all appetizing. There was food that I could not pronounce, and some that appeared down right dreadful. I swallowed my beliefs and dug in. It was absolutely delicious. Sure, they were not the most presentable dishes, but you could tell the same amount of care and thought went into their dishes as I put into mine. My first encounter was at our Hotel in Edinburgh centre. I am not sure who the Hotel in Edinburgh centre employs as their head cook, but the man should be given a pat on the back for a job well done. We also had the privilege of eating at a Cairngorms hotel. It is difficult to compare the Cairngorms hotel to the previous one, as I had different dishes. Yet, I can assure you that the quality was still there. 

Good job Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment