Tuesday 8 November 2011

Scots and Fashion?

To tell you the truth, I have a difficult time understanding fashion. It seems no matter how hard I try, my wife always feels as though she needs to step in and fix my entire outfit. At first I did not mind this, as I did want to make sure that I was not embarrassing myself when we went out into public. But, eventually, it began to grow old. Surely I was not fashionable inept. Matching ties to shoes and belts, and all that other jazz that has become so popular can all be researched on the internet, yet this approach does seem a little mechanical to me. Where is the personalization of it all? Can I not just wear what I want to? Apparently not, according to my wife. 


This thought actually makes me start to laugh, as I think some people take it way too seriously. When one focuses all of his attention into how he is perceived by others, it seems a little untruthful to me. You are pretty much putting on a costume, in hopes that your audience won't figure out who you truly are. For this reason, and several others, I envy the Scots. Kilts are genius. I only began to appreciate them when we stayed in a Short break Scotland hotel, one of the numerous Hotel breaks Scotland has to offer. While the staff at our Short break Scotland hotel did not wear the traditional Scottish attire, they were able to explain a little of the tradition to me. I am not sure if all the staff at the Hotel break Scotland are as well versed in kilt knowledge, but our staff seemed to know quite a bit. Long story short, my wife won't even consider me wearing a kilt, but I think it would solve all of our problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment